North Bohemian Museum in Liberec was established in 1873 as a Museum of Decorative Arts. It is the oldest museum of this orientation in Bohemia. Already during the first years of existence uncommonly extensive collections were compiled from all fields of interest. With regards to local traditions the most attention was payed to glass and textile. Growing collections brought a need of apropriate building for the Museum, which was finaly built in 1897-1898 by design of Friedrich Ohmann. Monumental complex of the Museum is completed with the replica of renaissance tower from Liberec Town Hall and extension of so-called Townsman House reminding former town development from the end of the 18th century. After World War II during reorganisantion the Museum was enlarged by collections from Museum of National History and Geography and Museum of Nature History in Liberec. Today the Museum contains (apart from a library) three collection departments: Department of Natural History, Department of History and Archeology and Art History Department. Permanent expositions are created according to this division. In addition, the Museum carries out around 20 short-term exhibitions every year.